Thursday, April 26, 2007

NFL Draft Preview


It's the end of April and the NFL draft is upon us. I will make the case for picking Brady Quinn as the Browns first round selection in Saturday's NFL Draft. First, let me go over the other prospective first round picks for the Browns and why I don't think they are worth the Browns selection.


I hear a lot of fans fall in love with Joe Thomas. To me I don't see one thing that jumps off the page to draft him. I don't see him as an elite left tackle in the mold of Jonathan Ogden or an Orlando Pace. I personally think Levi Brown is a better option as a first round pick at left tackle. I watch Wisconsin play 3 games this year and at no point while watching the game did I say damn that guy is intimidating or imposing. And the history of Wisconsin lineman in the NFL is not a great one.


I see Adrian Peterson has an extremely talented running back with a questionable injury history. I think he is a sure fire can't miss player but with his injury history and the Browns lack of luck with injured players I think we cant take that risk and put a big time contract to someone with a questionable. Also, running backs is the one position where you can get a talented player in the second or third round.


I don't think Jamarcus Russell will be there when we pick, and I'm not sold on him being a solid pro. I don't see him as having a passion for football like a Brady, Manning, Brees or a McNabb.


I think Calvin Johnson is a sure fire stud wide receiver, but I don't think picking a wide receiver is a glaring need and realistically receivers only affect maybe 15 plays a game.


With all being said I think Brady Quinn is the right player to pick with our first round draft selection. I will dispel the myths of the cant win the big game argument.


I documented in the last two years against bowl teams Quinn's stats.


2005


Michigan 19 comp 30 att 140 yards passing 2 td's 17-10 win


Michigan State 33 comp 60 att 487 yards passing 5 td's 1 int. 44-41 OT loss


USC 19 comp 35 att 264 yards passing 1 td 1 int. 34-31 loss


Ohio State 29 comp 45 att 286 yards passing 34-20 loss


2006


Georgia Tech 23 comp 38 att 246 yards passing 14-10 win


Penn State 25 comp 36 att 287 yards passing 3 td's 41-17 win


Michigan 24 comp 48 att 234 yards passing 3 td's 3 int 47-21 loss


UCLA 27 comp 45 att 304 yards passing 2 td's 20-17 win


USC 22 comp 45 att 224 yards passing 3 tds 44-24 loss


LSU 15 comp 35 att 148 yards passing 2 tds 2 int. 41-14 loss


All these combine for a 236 comp 417 att 57 % comp 2620 yards passing 262 yds per game.

21 touchdowns 7 int. 4-6 w/l record.


I don't think Quinn has excelled in the big games but I don't think he has been terrible like some fans think he has. I also do think its hard to win games when in the six losses his defense has given up at least 34 points. Its hard for any quarterback to win games when there asked to score 35 points.


I will state my reasons why I think Quinn should be the pick:



  1. I put a lot of stock into the fact that Quinn has been schooled for two years in a pro style offense with one of the best play callers in the business.

  2. I think Quinn makes good decisions, is mobile enough, strong arm and great pocket presence.

  3. I think the receivers had at Notre Dame are similar to the Browns receivers.

  4. Quinn loves to throw to the tight end, and the Browns do have a great tight end.

As I analyze this situation it is eerily similar to the predicament the Eagles were in during the draft of 1999 when the fans wanted them to pick Ricky Williams and the Eagles picked Donovan McNabb. I would love to hear what you guys think?


Now I will list my ten players who I think are destined to be studs in the NFL and the ten players who i think will be busts.


Top 10 studs



  1. Calvin Johnson WR Georgia Tech

  2. Adrian Peterson RB Oklahoma

  3. Brady Quinn QB Notre Dame

  4. LaRon Landry S LSU

  5. Patrick Willis LB Ole Miss

  6. Levi Brown OT Penn State

  7. Paul Posluszny LB Penn State

  8. Tony Ugoh OT Arkansas

  9. Zach Miller TE Arizona State

  10. Anthony Gonzalez WR Ohio State

Top 10 busts



  1. Marshawn Lynch RB Cal

  2. Michael Bush RB Louisville

  3. Sidney Rice WR South Carolina

  4. Joe Thomas OT Wisconsin

  5. Buster Davis LB Florida State

  6. Leon Hall CB Michigan

  7. Greg Olson TE Miami

  8. Trent Edwards QB Stanford

  9. Chris Henry RB Arizona

  10. Robert Meachem WR Tennessee



No comments: