Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Tribe 5 Tigers 4 11 innings


The Cleveland Indians took the first game of their three game series against the Detroit Tigers in Motown at Comerica Park. Here are my thoughts on the win:


  1. Paul Byrd gave the ballclub a solid 7 innings. I thought early was key when the Tigers had him on the ropes and he minimized the damage. What was more surprising is that he actually walked a batter tonight.

  2. I know I'm not alone in my thought on that I thought it was ludicrous how the umpires were calling the timing rule to the letter of the law. If this is true how comes in the two starts against Steve Trachsel this rule wasn't called. Even on the Tigers radio feed they didn't think Betancourt took an inordinate amount of time between pitches. I think that this directive to the umpires might have come from an opposing manager. I'm not naming any names but it might have come from an old grumpy manager with a mustache.

  3. The Ben Francisco euphoria continues with his big tying solo homer tonight. I think you have to keep playing him and riding the hot hand.

  4. Also, great job by Tom Mastny in walking the tight rope in the bottom of the 10th. I don't think its just a coincidence we took the lead right after that, not scoring was a deflating blow to the Tigers. Plus, a nice job by Joe Borowski working a 1-2-3 11th inning to pick up his 25th save.

  5. This club continues to find ways to win close ballgames against quality opponents. Also, with this win we are 6-2 against Detroit and 18-7 against the AL Central. My friends that is how you win a division.

  6. It was clear tonight's game really had a playoff feel to it. Every pitch had you on the edge of your seat.

The Indians will be back at it tomorrow night in Detroit against Jake Westbrook vs. the Cheater Kenny Rogers.

No comments: