Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Browns 17 Broncos 16

The Browns improved to 2-1 on the preseason with a win at Invesco Field at Mile High on Saturday night. Here are my thoughts on the game:
  1. I thought all three quarterbacks played their best games of the off season. Charlie Frye had an impressive first drive and moved the team well and was solid in his time on Saturday. I thought Anderson was better but still is struggling with this offense and I think the writing is on the wall that he is the odd man out. Brady Quinn was really impressive. In all likelihood he really led the offense to two touchdown drives. I think having him as the number two quarterback at the start is the right thing to do for the long term needs of the team and his career. But when you watch him it is obvious the kid is going to be a great player in the league. I hope he gets at least a good half of play on Thursday night.
  2. It was really good to see that Joe Jurevicius is still on the team, as he caught a couple of balls on Saturday night. I thought Braylon looked great out their against a really good shutdown corner and if he continues to impress this will really help the offense as a whole.
  3. It is amazing how well the offensive line is playing as a unit. The Frye backers cant use the offensive line excuse this year because I really cant remember one play where a quarterback got killed except for the Anderson fumble at the start of last week's game.
  4. The defensive line and run defense as a whole continues to be an easy. They aren't getting gashed for huge runs but the 7 and 8 yard runs they are giving up will take its toll. The one good thing I think with the run defense this year is that I think the defense wont be on the field as much this year so hopefully this results in some improvement. Also, give credit to the Broncos they are the number one running team in the league for a reason.
  5. I thought our pass defense regressed some in this game but I think that is a result of the lack of pressure on the quarterback. But the lack of pressure could be in part of calling a vanilla defense.
  6. After watching the Chudzinski offense for three weeks I really like what I see from the new offense in that it is much more creative and player friendly.
  7. The last thing I wanted to mention is that after watching numerous preseason games on the NFL Network, it is obvious that Bernie Kosar is really one of the better color men during preseason. He does a great job of keeping the viewers informed and I feel like I'm learning something when I tune in.

The Browns will head to Chicago to finish up the preseason schedule on Thursday night.

No comments: