Sunday, August 5, 2007

10 observations from the first week of Browns training camp

After a week in the books the following are my 10 thoughts on the opening week of camp:
  1. I really think its obvious to see that Kellen Winslow will emerge as our best player by far and I think you will seem him take more of a leadership role because of his comfort in this offense. Also with the same offense in which he excelled in college you will see him as much more of a threat down field which in tune will make the wide receivers better.
  2. You have to love the way that Jamal Lewis has busted it thorough the first week of camp and how excellent of shape he is in. From watching him on film I love the take no prisoners attitude he has shown. I have always thought we needed more players who aren't fun to play against. This team has had far too many players who play like nice guys on the field.
  3. Kameron Wimbley looks to me like a player who is going to get even better in his second year. Having another rusher in Antwan Peek on the other side and just getting more comfortable with the defense will propel his development that much more.
  4. I like everyone else want to see one of our quarterbacks take the job from the other but I'm not ready to panic that they haven't picked up the offense that quickly yet but I think as this team builds the running game which I think will happen that will aid the quarterbacks in their understanding of the offense.
  5. As a Miami Hurricane fan who has watched the Chudzinski offense before I really think it will be one the fans will grow to love. It will be an offense that is based on the running game but will aim to make big plays in the passing game. The other thing you will find from this offense after a big turnover on defense look for this offense to go for the jugular right away. The days of fullback option passes and predictability are over.
  6. I have joined the rest of you in questioning our defensive line. We really need someone in their to step up and have a good season. I like what I have seen out of Shaun Smith and I think at the nose tackle we will be fine but on the end opposite Robaire Smith we need someone step up.
  7. It sure looks like we might have gotten the steal of the draft in Eric Wright. The kid just looks like a natural at corner. You have to give Crennel, Savage and Grantham credit in that they have started to build a solid and maybe excellent secondary.
  8. As everyone has heard Ryan Tucker is out 4 games for testing positive for steroids. I like everyone else is disappointed. I do give the guy credit for not hiding behind any flimsy excuses and maned up for a dumb decision.
  9. I like everyone else here is really tired of this Brady Quinn saga. I know the reporters have to ask the questions but I just assume not talk about him till he gets in camp. I like how Romeo has just called him the quarterback and refused to refer to him by name.
  10. The most pleasant surprise to be in camp is how well the offensive line has looked and how they seem to be meshing as a unit. This is the biggest key to a successful season this year.

No comments: